Wednesday 4 January 2012

Burnley are better than Leeds - Discuss

It is my to prove that Burnley are better than Leeds.  I will some research into this ( I will look at wikipedia) before I come to a conclusion.  Obviously, the result yesterday has inspired me to look into this as a project, but as regular readers will know I live and work in Leeds, around lotsof Leeds fans so I need some facts to hit them with the next time we lose to them.

Proving Burnley are better than Leeds

So how do you judge betterness (I know it's not a word)?  I think we can discard cup competitions as they are more down to luck than anything.  Who is the best team at the end of a season?  Usually the one on top of the league.  So how do we apply this to the argument in question?  Well...

I will take each teams league position at the end of each season completed to date and allocate a number to that position based on the proximity to the top or bottom of the league, treating all four divisions as one linear table.  For example, last year Man Utd would get 92 points, Chelsea 91 and so on.  Once these scores have been allocated I will then take an average (mean) and the higher the figure, the better the team.  Simples?
NO.  I will have to use a different total for years where there were fewer leagues and teams of which there are many.  This will be fiddly.
But Leeds didn't exist until 1919, joining the FL in 1920 so this might skew the figure a bit.  I'll work something out, and see what happens.
Anyway, best get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment