Saturday 25 June 2011

Top Ten All-Time Burnley Players 3

Number three has to be the one and only...  David Eyres.
In that 1994 promotion season Eyresy was the top goal scorer with something like 27 and looking at wikipedia shows that he only score 37 in his Burnley career.
One of the ony away games I've attended was towards the end of that season, away at his former club Blackpool.  As I've mentioned in other posts, we were dreadful away from home that season and we needed a win to stay in with a chance of the play-offs.  The game was originally scheduled for Boxing Day but the pitch at Bloomfield Road was frozen and the fixture was re-arranged for sometime in spring (March/April I think.  It was a nice sunny day).  I had planned to go to the game on a coach with some lads from the pub (the General Gordon in Nelson) but as the game was postponed I stayed in the pub all day, winning at 'killer' on the pool table and someone pressed some buttons on a fruit machine for me and I won on that too!  Quite a good day all in all.
When the re-arranged fixture came around I went on the official supporters club coach which started from the Burnley bus station, which in those days had a pound coin glued to the floor outside the information kiosk as a hilarious joke!
Bloomfield road was one of the worst grounds I've been to.  The away fans were accommodated in a terrace down the long side of the pitch towards one end.  The floor of this terrace was below pitch level so if you stood at the front, due to the drainage curve of the pitch you couldn't see the ball when it was on the far touchline.  The good thing about the ground was the girders which were a lovely orange colour (rust) to match the home sides kit.
Eyres was captain that day as (Steve Davis I think) was suspended or injured and we ran out 2-1 winners.  Eyres played a blinder and I think he even scored as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment